In today’s Focus Friday, we’ll work on cover letters and/or personal statements. You’ll have time to work on and share drafts. We hope you’ll join Dr. Busl and I, and bring something to work on during out workshop time!
Academic Job Search Resources:
- “Academic Cover Letters” (Purdue OWL)
- “The Academic Job Search Handbook”
- “The Academic Job Search” (Stanford Career Development Center)
- “How to Write Academic Job Cover Letters” (The Professor is In)
- “Sample Materials for Academic Positions” (USCF Office of Career & Professional Development)
- “Understanding Cover Letters” (Inside Higher Ed)
What should you discuss in an academic cover letter?
Here’s the template Dr. Powell taught me to use to structure a cover letter for an academic job search. She said your letter should provide a narrative that provides reader with:
- a profile of research (a paragraph)
- a clear sense of your research trajectory (a paragraph)
- an understanding of your teaching & mentoring (1-2 paragraphs)
- an understanding of your administrative & other service experience (a paragraph)
The order these paragraphs come in will depend to some extent on the type of university/the nature of the program you are applying to. And the more you can customize your basic job letter for each job, the better off you will be.
Searching for Alt-AC Jobs:
- “The Alt-AC Track: Defining Terms” (Inside Higher Ed)
- “The Alt-AC Track: How to Do the Search” (Inside Higher Ed)
- “The Ultimate Guide to Finding a Job as an English Major” (Sell Out Your Soul)
- “What’s Your Favorite Alt-AC Resource?” (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
Remember: Your major has taught you skills that ARE useful in fields other than teaching.
Think outside the box and figure out how to sell yourself! What have you learned? What industries need those skills? (Chances are they are already looking for you–or should be!)
- “Graduate School: Statement” (Berkeley Career Center)
- “Writing a Convincing Personal Statement for Graduate School” (Part 1 of 5, My Graduate School)
- “Writing the Personal Statement” (Purdue OWL)
- Academic Jobs Wiki: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Rhetoric/Composition_2015
- RhetMap.org: http://rhetmap.org/
- Chronicle, Jobs: https://chroniclevitae.com/jobs
- Higher Ed Jobs (includes Alt-AC), http://www.higheredjobs.com/default.cfm
- Inside Higher Ed, Careers (includes Alt-AC): https://careers.insidehighered.com/
- MLA JIL: http://www.mla.org/jil